Friday, September 14, 2012

Bible Study Ladies of Southern Minnesota

This is the name of the Bible Study I belong to. My daughter,Emily, named us that when she sent a thank you to the group for a shower gift. We started as 6 women who either had known each other for years or had kids that were friends or were neighbors. We belonged to different churches and different faiths. We take turns hosting it at our homes. We are a support group and very much personal friends, invited to weddings and graduations and barbeques  and what not. We talk about issues in our families both good and bad. Women that know about us have asked to join and we have mostly said they could visit. I like our small size. We are now 9. One of our members invites others to come and I know it shouldn't bother me, and it wouldn't if we were just a Bible Study. We aren't. I don't like talking about personal things with people I don't know, no matter how nice they are.  I am not a hugger either and when someone comes up to me that I don't know and wants a hug,I am uncomfortable. This is the latest invitee. Also, the more I learn about the LCMS, the more I am not sure about staying. There are times I just want to shake some sense into some! They don't get the infant baptism. Infants can't have faith and you can't speak for them. They don't understand what baptism is to us. To them it is about them....they decide to be baptized and accept Christ. They don't understand where whole households were baptized. That means whole households....not just of a certain age.  They still have to dedicate. There has to be some ceremony. But there again it's something they do...they bring their child to God...they dedicate it.  God takes our child and makes it His in baptism. Infants have faith. One of the blogs I read talks about a study done that proves it.  Also all infants were baptized in all churches until fairly recently, when people decided it couldn't be right. One of the ladies actually said she had never heard of baptism being a means to salvation. They don't understand closed communion. I do. I don't want to take communion in a church where they don't believe in the real presence. I wouldn't think they would want to take communion in our church either. I like the liturgy. It is comforting to know what to expect  and that you can go to most LCMS churches and feel at home. I don't like praise bands. I want to hear law and gospel. I don't need a coffee shop. I feel comfort in the aroma of coffee brewing in the basement. I don't need a stage and huge tv monitors. I need hymns and an altar to worship at. I want a communion railing to kneel at and receive forgiveness. To be able to look at Jesus looking back at me and feel peace. I want to keep these women as friends desperately. I'm just not sure I can keep going to the Bible Study. I feel we aren't in the same place. I'm not sure what to do. The church doesn't have a women's Bible study and the one the Pastor leads, is at 6:30am. I am getting Alair ready for school at that time. I know it will all work out some how.

No comments: